Since April 2015, Google has been implementing the new mobile-friendly update and boosting the rankings of sites most easily used with mobile devices. If you have seen your rankings drop over the last few months it may mean more adjustment is needed for your pages. To ensure your site is set for Google success take some steps to become more mobile-friendly.
Here are 10 things you should know about Google’s mobile-friendly update:
1. This update only affects searched completed on mobile devices. It does not apply to searches on a desktop or tablet.
2. Use the Mobile-Friendly Test tool to check the effectiveness of your individual pages.
3. Linking to other sites that are not mobile-friendly does not affect your rankings.
4. Keep primary tap targets to a minimum of 7mm width/height and a minimum margin of 5mm between secondary tap targets. This will ensure a more useable interface.
5. It’s never too late to start making your site more mobile-friendly. Google determines whether a page is mobile-friendly every time it is crawled or indexed.
6. Address any speed issues for a better ranking as well.
7. Embed YouTube videos the right way using the tags from the “share” feature on the watch page. You can also embed directly from the YouTube iFrame API.
8. Avoid using 404 pages for those that visit a mobile page from their desktop. It is best to redirect them to the equivalent mobile-friendly URL.
9. Making the site mobile-friendly is only one way to boost rankings. You must also offer your visitors relevant and good content to achieve Google success.
10. A responsive web design is the best way to ensure usability and consistency across all platforms from desktops to tablets to smartphones.
Grand Marketing Solutions is a marketing firm dedicated to helping other small businesses develop strategies for online success. We offer our clients creative and smart ways to increase their presence through social media platforms, responsive website design, PPC advertising, and more.