If you are in stuck in a content rut, it may not be for the reason you think. Most writers blame a lack of skill and focus on the actual practice of penning their content. While this may in fact be true, another factor to consider is the manner in which you approach the task of writing. If you find yourself stumped for words by the first sentence, you may want to examine the preparation you put in before you begin the creative process. Asking yourself targeted questions about the article\’s focus and content can help guide your work.
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself before you begin writing:
1. What is the central topic of my piece? An article without a central focus is like a ship lost at sea. Writing becomes much easier when you have a clear idea on the chief topic of your piece.
2. Who is my audience? Who you are writing to will determine the style in which you write as well as how you present the material. It can also help you cater the content to those most likely to read it.
3. What are the main points of this topic? The best way to set the direction for your writing is by establishing defined main points for the topic. This usually equates to three but could be more or less depending on the subject matter.
4. What would make this article appeal to others? Knowing how to attract others to your content is critical to competing in the online world. With hundreds of thousands of pieces each day to choose from, readers need a reason to select your piece. Does it offer a solution to a common problem? Is its title interesting and captivating?
5. How should I structure this piece? There are hundreds of ways to write about the same topic. From a pros and cons list to a step-by-step manual, how you present the material to your audience is often as important as what you present.
At GMS, we know how important quality content is to each online marketing campaign. For this reason, we offer our clients blog and website management services creating targeted content to increase their visibility online. Whether you need a simple supplement to your current postings or assistance in kick-starting a brand new site, our creative team has a solution for your company\’s unique marketing needs.
Contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation