Writing takes time and effort. In fact, it takes a lot of time and effort. For some though, their writing bears little fruit and they are left wondering what their content is missing. The problem often lies in the fact that these writers have developed poor habits over the years. From not editing properly to lacking focus on their true purpose, terrible writers make mistakes that can mean failure for anything they produce.
Here are six bad habits of ineffective writers:
1. Lack of Authenticity – When writers don’t stay true to themselves, their writing can take a hit. Readers pick up on a lack of authenticity quickly. If they feel they can’t trust the information, their interest wanes and they resort to another source for their needs.
2. Inability to Adapt & Grow – Writers who refuse to adapt to the ever-changing world around them often get left behind. They must stay current on what is important to their audience while also continuing to grow in their skills and abilities.
3. Poor Editing Skills – Few things are worse than an article that has been proofread poorly or, worse yet, not at all. Grammar mistakes and misuse of punctuation can wreak havoc on any piece. Poor editing skills make a writer’s work less desirable to read even if the content is good.
4. Audience Confusion – To write with a purpose there must be a clear audience in mind. Those penning the content must know the interests and values of those who will be reading it. Poor writers don’t take the time necessary to define their audience and are confused about who they are writing to.
5. Misguided Purpose – When writers lose sight of the driving purpose of their content, their message often gets muddled, too. When a clear objective is used to guide their writing a very distinct and powerful voice can be heard. This voice is what resonates with readers.
6. Time Mismanagement – Poor writers will misuse their time on tasks not important to the overall quality of the piece. They focus their attention on small insignificant details rather than formulating a strong message and a good flow.
Letting go of these bad habits is one of the best things writers can do to generate more interest in their content. If you are finding that your own content is stale and not garnering the attention your brand needs consider hiring the team at Grand Marketing Solutions for assistance. We help clients throughout Chicago’s North Shore area address their writing needs. Whether you need quality content for online marketing or for catalogs and brochures, our team of writers is here to help.
Contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation