Writing is a tough task even for the seasoned professional. Why do some become great writers offering readers interesting, thoughtful content while others seem to flounder? While natural ability is a factor in their success there are also certain habits talented writers use to develop and grow their skills.
Want to create better, more interesting content? Follow these 6 habits of great writers:
1. They can define the big picture. Sometimes writers can get so lost in developing sentences and paragraphs that the overall message of the content is lost. Successful writers define their message first and then support it with the other content.
2. They know when to take a break. When the word aren’t flowing and even the simplest of sentences become a struggle, good writers know when to step back, take a break, and refresh their batteries.
3. They learn from others. Many skilled writers will have at least a few “favorites” in the industry who they find interesting to read. Rather than see them as competition, great writers are motivated by other professionals finding inspiration in their work.
4. They read… a lot. Magazines, newspapers, historical literature, even romance novels all help widen a writer’s knowledge-base offering new ways to cultivate fresh content.
5. They use shorter sentences. Long, flowery sentences that seem to take up the entire paragraph are boring to read and can confuse the audience. Good writers have a knack for writing shorter, straightforward sentences breaking up a single, larger thought into a couple succinct phrases.
6. They know their audience. Before they pen the first word, good writers know who their audience is and how best to convey the message to them? They use an easily-digestible format and pay close attention to the language in which they write.
If you are a small business looking for great writers to develop content for your brand, contact the team at GMS. Our writers are skilled at creating relevant, professional content to help achieve your company’s marketing goals. Our full-range of services includes blog management, press releases, website development, and more.