Proofreading is a dreaded task no writer every looks forward to. And while proofreading is not always fun, it’s a necessary evil in the writing world. Published authors would never think of printing a book without proofreading it first, but many online writers think these rules don’t apply to them. What they fail to realize is how important a well-written article free of grammatical errors is – both in print and online. Proofreading is the last step in getting a piece ready to be shared whether on your blog or in a bookstore.
1. Tackle One Problem at a Time – It’s hard to focus on it all. Read through your piece multiple times focusing on one particular error at a time. These errors could include sentence structure, spelling, double negatives or punctuation.
2. Print and Read – Reading a printed copy of an article can give you a new vantage point on which to critique. This different format can help you uncover errors you may have missed.
3. Word Overkill – Think you have used a certain word or phrase one too many times? Articles that have the same word or phrase used multiple times can come across as amateur. Use the “Search” feature of your program to check for the word and replace it with another similar term where it makes sense.
4. Spellcheck Your Work – Misspelled words are a common editing blunder. Put that program’s spellchecker to good use by having it scan your piece for reversed letters and common misspellings.
5. Recite Aloud – You may feel silly reading your piece aloud but it is an effective way to uncover hidden errors you may have missed. Better yet is to have another person read your article aloud to you or vice versa.
6. Read Backwards – A little trick to proofreading is to read your article backwards. This helps focus your attention on individual words rather than complete sentences. It also helps catch spelling errors.
Don’t let your great content go unnoticed because of your poor proofreading skills. Polish, spit and shine those articles to perfection so they can get the attention they deserve. For further help in curating great content, contact the team at Grand Marketing Solutions . We serve companies both large and small providing smart content that speaks to their unique market. Whether you want to draw visitors in with an attention-grabbing web page or help others learn more about your brand with an informative pamphlet, our writers can fill every need.