This past week has been quite exciting as people across the world were at the edge of their seats waiting for the birth of Prince William and Kate Middleton\’s second child. Once a girl was born, another waiting game began for the announcement of the baby\’s name. Millions of people checked social media and news outlets constantly for any updates as to the namesake of the new princess. This story makes me wonder how powerful waiting to release important news can be for any type of marketing campaign. While many of us will never have such a big story to share, can we use these same strategies in a smaller, yet still meaningful way? Can we too utilize the waiting game to create more buzz around our products or services?
Here are some pros and cons of using the waiting game in your marketing plan:
– Waiting on big news allows you to get more people\’s attention furthering your marketing reach.
– Teasers for the announcement can make for better content on your social media sites.
– People are more likely to visit your sites frequently as they anxiously wait.
– Your audience can lose interest if you make them wait too long.
– It\’s hard to find a good reason for people to care. Your announcement has to be a good one to get the buzz needed for a marketing impact. Having this type of news doesn\’t come along very often.
– It is hard to find the perfect balance between keeping people interested and remaining secretive about the announcement.
The next time you have a new product to launch or another big announcement, will you try out the waiting game? Done right, it can be an effective way to get your story more attention. For help with this marketing strategy and more, contact the professional team at GMS. We offer both traditional and non-traditional approaches to advertising in today\’s marketplace.