Most SEO experts would tell you that link building is an important aspect of any effective online marketing strategy. What they might not always share though is that can also be a dangerous one. One bad move and you can see your ranking efforts go down the tubes. While the usefulness of link building has changed very little over the past 5-10 years, the complexity of how to be successful at it has.
Here are some DOs and DON’Ts for smart link building:
– Do make your content relevant in both topic and keyword to the site it is linking to.
– Do also consider the quality of the site that the link rests. It’s relevancy to your site is important too.
– Do focus your efforts on creating top quality content. This is the best way to create natural, organic links to your site.
– Do use social media to your advantage by promoting interesting content there. This is a great way to get others to your site earning links along the way.
– Don’t buy backlinks to increase your ratings. It can be a risky move leading to lower rankings. It is also often ineffective.
– Don’t guest blog for the sole purpose of gaining backlinks. While guest blogging can offer greater exposure to more people, catering to a specific audience can make it difficult to stay focused on your purpose. Your best strategy is to make the content you write informative and true to you — the links will follow.
– Don’t link to other sites unless it makes sense. Remember to consider the relevancy of any partnership you form.
What will always be the best strategy for building better links is to offer high-quality articles to others. There is nothing that can replace good organic content that attracts people to your site. For assistance in your online link building efforts, contact the team at GMS. We offer SEO services as well as social media management and content curation. Let our team help build your brand online.
Contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation.